‘Twas the Night Before Christmas is one of my all time favorite books, so I love using it in class. This week, it’s our shared reading book. In fact, it’s almost a whole unit!
But first, some background. Last week we learned about St. Nicholas and his giving heart. We watched a short and cute video from the St. Nicholas Center. We found out that when St. Nicholas died, he became Santa Claus!
Here’s what we are doing this week:
* Day 1 – We remember that Santa Claus is St. Nicholas, and then we read the traditional Night Before Christmas. We talk about who Santa is, and how we call can have giving hearts.
* Day 2 – We read A Creature was Stirring, with the traditional story on one page and a little boy’s thoughts on the other page. The little boy can’t sleep, and worries that he will be in trouble if Santa finds him awake. I love this version. I’ve even acted it out with Sisters Mary Jane and Maggie at the monastery for our Christmas skit!
* Day 3 – We compare the books on our Smart Board. What’s the same? What’s different?
* Day 4 – We talk about the books again. What would we do if we were awake when Santa comes? Would we pretend to be asleep? Would we talk to him?
* Day 5 – We make a class book around this theme. Each child fills in the blank: If I were awake on Christmas Eve when Santa arrived, I would ______.
Finally, our bulletin board features a bed with all of my preschoolers sleeping in it. It says, “The children were nestled, all snug in their bed.” Thanks, Pinterest!!! 🙂